It’s Leap Day today – you have the opportunity to accomplish one more day’s worth of good work this year. Here are some ideas for you to consider:
- do you have an employee recognition program? If not, think about how you can encourage behaviours that warrant recognition. Don’t just wait until someone brings in the big sale. You will be pleased to know that money is not #1 on most employees’ list of requests. They want to know their performance matters.
- do your teams understand their mission? If a customer was to ask what makes your company special, could any of your employees tell them? Make sure your people know what they are working for so they can feel they are a part of the big picture.
- do your best customers get recognition? Do you know who they are and what they like? Remember, you usually get 80% of your business from this 20% of your clientele… maybe starting a loyalty program would let them know how much you appreciate their contribution to your success.
- when was the last time you walked through your store or office and just watched what was going on? Do you know what the most pressing concerns are for the staff serving your customers? If it’s been a while, you might be surprised to see what you discover, and your staff will be pleased if you follow up on any challenges.
- do you know what your competition is doing? Have you visited their store, or website? A friendly relationship with your neighbouring competition, knowing everyone’s strengths, is the best play to show the customer you care.
Make the most of this extra day – and weave your new good habits into your routine. If you would like to share any pearls of wisdom you discover, I’d love to hear them!
If you need help in accomplishing all your great ideas while you wear all the hats of a small business owner, please contact me for a free consultation.